Our history goes back over one hundred years and in that time we've been through many changes, always going forward. Responding to the diverse needs of our students, industry, the economy, and society at large; this continues today: with your future in mind.
Here are some of the highlights:
The origins of our University can be traced back to the late nineteenth century with the foundation of a Municipal Technical School offering cookery and household science courses.
Operating from a number of sites across the city, archives record the establishment of a cookery room in 1916 and domestic cookery classes in 1918.
In 1927 the name of the school changed to the Central Technical College
By the 1950's the college had been renamed the College of Food and Technology and a department of Bakery and Domestic Science had been established.
1957 saw the name change once again to the College of Bakery, Catering, Domestic Science and Associated Studies.
1958 saw another change to Birmingham College of Food and Domestic Arts which operated on a number of sites across the city until…
1968 when HRH the Duke of Edinburgh opened our site on Summer Row.
In response to a growing diversification of programmes, the college was renamed Birmingham College of Food, Tourism and Creative Studies in the 1980's.
2007 saw the Privy Council approve the award of taught degree awarding powers and approved our final name change to University College Birmingham.
In 2012 we received an overall Grade 1 Outstanding for our Further Education provision.
Towards the end of 2012 we were granted full University Title by the Privy Council, sealing the university's position as a first-class higher education institution and offering greater clarity to employers and students alike.